Distinguished Cardiologists and Scientists Honored with 2012 International Academy of Cardiology Awards at the 17th World Congress on Heart Disease, Toronto, ON, Canada
August 22, 2012
The Catania Group
Toronto, ON, Canada (PRWEB) August 22, 2012
Dr. Asher Kimchi, Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology (IAC) announced the winners of the 2012 IAC Awards at the 17th World Congress on Heart Disease held in Toronto, ON, Canada.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, together with Co-Chairmen Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer and Dr. John A. Elefteriades, headed a committee of 135 of the world's top cardiologists and scientists that reviewed nominees from multiple countries. In addition to the IAC awards, the committee also named three Faculty to receive the Distinguished Fellowship Award. The International Academy of Cardiology has established five awards to honor the memory of distinguished colleagues who made a major contribution to Medicine and Cardiology and who were members of the faculty of previous International Academy of Cardiology meetings. As in previous years, a very prestigious Awards Committee selected the recipients.
The following awards for 2012 were presented at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology 17th World Congress on Heart Disease Annual Scientific Sessions 2012:
The Walter Bleifeld Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Clinical Research to Anne B. Curtis, M.D., Charles and Mary Bauer Professor of Medicine and Chair of the Department of Medicine at the University at Buffalo.
- The Albrecht Fleckenstein Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Basic Research to Teruhiko Toyo-Oka, M.D., Ph.D., Professor Emeritus at the University of Tokyo, Visiting Professor of Cardiology, Kitasato University, Executive Committee Member of the Japanese Section of the International Society of Heart Research and a Clinical Fellow of the Research Section of Heart Failure in Japan.
- The Jan J. Kellermann Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention to Ulrich Keil, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, Faculty of the University of Münster, Germany.
- The Hans-Peter Kyayenbuehl Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Research in Cardiac Function to Louis P. Perrault, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Surgery and Pharmacology at the Université de Montréal, Director of the Extracorporeal Program of Perfusion at the University and Chief of the Cardiac Surgery Department of the Montreal Heart Institute.
- The Melvin L. Marcus Memorial Award for distinguished contribution as a Gifted Teacher to Barry F. Uretsky, M.D., Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Arkansas and Director of Interventional Cardiology at the Central Arkansas Veterans Affairs Hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas.
The Distinguished Fellowship Award was established by the International Academy of Cardiology to honor colleagues who have made profound contributions to Cardiovascular Medicine and provided important services to the Academy.
The 2012 Distinguished Fellowship Awards were presented to three Faculty of the 17th World Congress on Heart Disease:
- Wilbert S. Aronow, MD, Professor of Medicine at New York Medical College.
- Navin C. Nanda, MD, Professor of Medicine and Director, Heart Station/Echocardiography Laboratories, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama.
- Robert Roberts, MD, President and CEO of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Professor of Medicine, Director of Ruddy Canadian Cardiovascular Genetics Centre.
The Opening Ceremony and Awards Presentations were chaired by Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, Professor of Medicine and Chairman, Department of Medicine; Chief, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, SUNY, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn NY; Member, Scientific Executive Committee; Chairman, Section of Valvular Heart Disease for the IAC and Dr. John A. Elefteriades, William W. L. Glenn Professor of Surgery, Director, Yale Center of Thoracic Aortic Disease, Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Yale University and Yale New-Haven Hospital; Member, Scientific Executive Committee; Chairman, Section of Valvular Heart Disease for the IAC.
The following Members of the Scientific Executive Committee of the International Academy of Cardiology also took part in the Awards Ceremony:
- Prof. Naranjan S. Dhalla, Distinguished Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Dr. William Bommer, Professor of Medicine at the University of California, Davis, Director of Non-Invasive Cardiology, President of the California Chapter of the American College of Cardiology.
- Dr. Nathan Wong, Professor and Director of the Heart Disease Prevention Program, Division of Cardiology at University of California, Irvine, Immediate Past President of the American Society for Preventive Cardiology.
- Dr. Michael E. Farkouh, Director, Clinical Trials, Peter Munk Cardiac Centre, University Health Network, Director, Research, Division of Cardiology, University of Toronto.
The Sixth H.J.C. Swan Memorial Lecture at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology, 17th World Congress on Heart Disease, Annual Scientific Sessions, 2012, was delivered by Uri Elkayam, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, on the topic of “Peripartum Cardiomyopathy: New Concepts in Pathophysiology and Management.”
Dr. Kimchi comments, "The International Academy of Cardiology is dedicated to the advancement of global research in cardiovascular medicine through the support of scientific meetings and publications.”
The World Congress on Heart Disease, the annual scientific session of the International Academy of Cardiology, provides the opportunity for a comprehensive overview of the latest research developments in cardiovascular medicine, primarily in the areas of molecular and cellular cardiology, genetics of heart disease, cardiac imaging, coronary artery disease, interventional cardiology, lipoprotein disorders, hypertension, metabolic syndrome, heart failure, valvular heart disease, cardiac arrhythmias and electrophysiology, pediatric cardiology, cardiac surgery, heart transplantation and measurement of outcome and quality of cardiovascular care.
“Six hundred (600) cardiologists and scientists from 54 countries took part in this year's Congress. Papers were presented in the form of plenary sessions, symposia and posters and included superb scientific material that was carefully selected by the Scientific Abstract Review Committee from seven-hundred-sixty (760) abstracts submitted for presentation at the meeting. These four-hundred-eighty-nine (489) studies, originating from laboratories in 54 countries, assured that the meeting was a major scientific event” said Dr. Kimchi.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, the Founder and Chairman of the World Congress on Heart Disease, is an internationally recognized and respected pioneering cardiologist, a former flight surgeon in the Israeli Air Force and the Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of cardiology. Dr. Kimchi is the Vice Clinical Chief of the Division of Cardiology and the Medical Director of the Preventive and Consultative Heart Center of Excellence at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in Los Angeles. Dr. Kimchi holds the academic title of Clinical Professor of Medicine at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is a Past-President of the American Heart Association, Los Angeles County Division.
Dr. Kimchi has been involved in medical education for many years. During the past 23 years Dr. Kimchi has served as organizer and chairman of 19 large international congresses on Heart Failure and Heart Disease. He is editor of eight cardiology books, his scientific articles on the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure have appeared in many prestigious peer review journals and he has served on the editorial boards of several leading journals.
Dr. Kimchi has the distinction of being listed in “America’s Top Physicians,” “America’s Top Cardiologists,” “Best Doctors in America” and “Southern California Super Doctors.”
In 2006, he received the prestigious, “Passion of the Heart Award” from the American Heart Association for a “distinguished career in cardiology and lifetime dedication and leadership in cardiovascular education worldwide.” In 2010 he was elected as a Fellow of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences.
The International Academy of Cardiology, 18th World Congress on Heart Disease, Annual Scientific Sessions 2013, will be held in Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 26-29, 2013.
For more information on the scientific program, abstract submission, registration, accommodation and exhibition, please contact:
International Academy of Cardiology:
PO Box 17659
Beverly Hills, CA 90209, USA
tel (310) 657 8777
fax (310) 659 4781
Left to Right: Dr. Toyo-Oka, Dr. Louis P. Perrault, Dr. Wilbert S. Aronow, Dr. Anne B. Curtis, Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, Dr. Asher Kimchi (Founder), Dr. John A. Elefteriades, Dr. Robert Roberts, Dr. Navin C. Nanda, Dr. Barry Uretsky, Dr. Ulrich Keil
Left to Right: Dr. Asher Kimchi, Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, Dr. Uri Elkayam, Dr. John A. Elfteriades, Dr. Jawahar L. Mehta